Dear Parents and Guardians:
We would like to welcome our incoming 6th Grade students and families to Troy Middle School. To our returning 7th and 8th grade families, welcome back. We are excited to begin the new academic year on Wednesday, September 7, 2022 Troy Middle School will continue to offer a full range of academic courses, activities and services for our students; including accelerated and honors courses, clubs and afterschool Programs.
Please note, homeroom cards will be mailed during the week of 8/30. Students will report to their homeroom class on the first day of school, where they will receive their schedules.
Also, during the first days of school, students will learn about our code of conduct, academic expectations, policies for electronic devices, dress code, and PBIS. Additionally, students will receive their agendas. [Should you have outstanding library book obligation(s) from last year, please take care of it by the first day of school.]
Please continue to monitor our TMS website at www.troycsd.org/troy-middle-school and our Facebook Page TroyNYMiddleSchool for up-to-date information.
Troy CSD is also now using ParentSquare for all important communications with families. This includes text message and email alerts for early dismissals, school closures, bus delays and more. You are encouraged to activate your ParentSquare account using your current contact information on file at www.parentsquare.com/signin. If you cannot activate your account, please contact the main office to update your contact information.
Our Open House will be held on Wednesday, Sept. 21st. We will contact all of our families with more information soon. We are looking forward to meeting our new and current families. Have a wonderful rest of your summer.
First Day of School Information
Lockers: Students will be issued lockers on the first day of school. Sixth Grade students will be issued lockers at Orientation on Sept. 1
Backpacks: Students can bring backpacks to school, but they must be stored in their locker upon arrival.
Cell Phones: Cell phones will not be allowed in TMS at any time.
Hoods & Hats: Hoods and hats are not allowed to be worn in TMS at any time.
There will be a Community Meeting on September 1 from 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. to discuss these protocols.
“Be Your Best @ TMS” with PBIS
Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports is a systematic approach to preventing and responding to school and classroom discipline problems. PBIS teaches positive behaviors, and creates a safe learning environment for our students.
Here at TMS, we expect our students to…
Research has shown that exclusion and punishment are the most common responses to conduct problems in schools. Research has also shown that these are ineffective at producing long-term reductions in problem behaviors.
Troy Middle School is committed to establishing and maintaining a positive culture in our school. Our goal is to educate all students, adopt and sustain the use of best practices for teaching academics and social behavior, and acknowledge students who demonstrate expected behaviors.
1976 Burdett Avenue
Troy, NY 12180
Mr. Ian McShane
|Mr. Josh Monk||Ms. Domenica Hallett|
|Dean of Students
|Mr. Lamont Garland||Mr. Brian Matthews|
Guidance Counselor Department
Guidance Secretary ~ 518-328-5365
|Ms. Casey Klein||Mrs. Sonya Shaw||Ms. Lexie Phillips||Mrs. Laura Stukenborg|
|6th Grade||7th Grade||8th Grade||School Counselor|
Backpack, Cell Phone & Hood/Hat Procedures
A community event will be held on 9/1 at TMS from 7:30 p.m.-9 p.m. to discuss the following:
- Students can bring backpacks to school
- They will need to be stored in lockers
- Students will go to their lockers before first period & at dismissal
Lockers will be issued on the first day of school
- Will not be allowed in TMS
- Will need to be stored in lockers (if brought to school)
- Students are not permitted to have a phone on them during the school day
- For emergency contact situations, families can call the main office (518-328-5301) to contact their students
- The students may also stop down to the main office with a pass to call their families
Hoods and hats cannot be worn in TMS at any time.
- All students have been issued a Chromebook for the Troy City School District and should continue to use this device for the school year.
- All new students will receive a Chromebook during the first week of school.
- Treat your Chromebook like the very important educational tool that it is.
- Charge the device daily.
- Devices will be needed each day for in-person learning.
- Earbuds are strongly recommended for class use, and we ask that you please not send in AirPods or any expensive earbuds as they are often lost.
- For any issues/questions, please contact the main office. Leave your name, student’s name, contact number, and email address. The main office will enter a technology trouble ticket. The technology department will reach out to you.