*For the Troy Middle School remote families that opted their child into state testing for ELA, please arrive Thursday, April 22 at the auditorium entrance at 8:30 a.m. and pick up at the same location at 11:10 a.m. Pickup and dropoff information for the Math exam TBA.*
April 13, 2021
We are excited to welcome students back from break this week in our schools. I am writing to share some important updates with you about the New York State Grades 3-8 Assessments in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics. This year, the assessments have been reduced to a single day rather than the multiple-day assessments we have administered in previous years. All assessments in the Troy City School District will be given as outlined below:
NYS ELA Assessments
- Grades 3, 4 and 5 – the NYS ELA Assessments will consist of Book 1 only and will be administered at the start of the school day on April 20th, with make ups being administered the next day on April 21st.
- Grades 6, 7 and 8 – the NYS ELA Assessments will consist of Book 1 only and will be administered at the start of the school day on April 21st (purple students) and April 22nd (gold students), with make ups being administered the following week on April 27th and 28th.
NYS Math Assessments
- Grades 3, 4 and 5 – the NYS Math Assessments will consist of Book 1 only and will be administered at the start of the school day on May 11th, with make ups being administered the next day on May 12th.
- Grades 6, 7 and 8 – the NYS Math Assessments will consist of Book 1 only and will be administered at the start of the school day on May 11th (gold students) and May 12th (purple students), with make ups being administered on May 13th and 14th.
- All remote students are invited to participate in the assessments this year. If parents of fully remote students would like their child to participate in the NYS Assessments this year, please contact the main office of your child’s school no later than Friday, April 16th to make your request.
- Please note that all exams will be administered in person, and students may or may not be with their specific classroom teacher. We will try to accommodate this, but given the space limitations, we may not be able to do this at every grade level.
- Families of remote students will need to provide transportation to and from school on the day of the assessment. If this presents a hardship, please reach out to the main office of your child’s school directly.
Please know that the district analyzes your child’s performance on these assessments in conjunction with other measures so that we can ensure teaching and learning opportunities are designed to meet your child’s specific needs. Your child’s scores on these assessments will not affect their grades or impact their promotion to the next grade level. All we ask is that students do their very best.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to your child’s classroom teacher or building principal directly. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction